signed and numbered limited-edition print
Return to Lithographs
Departure at Daybreak
Fort Niagara 1769. Mist rises from the Niagara River as the early morning
sun greets four Ottawa canoes gliding swiftly across the still waters
from Fort Niagara in the autumn of 1769. Settlers crossing Indian
boundaries and a decline in trade goods from England created a period of
unrest among the tribes of the Great Lakes. The log stockade,
constructed in 1768 at Fort Niagara, was a result of this threat.
However, the Ottawa, whose name in Algonquin means "he buys", were still
trading during these unsettled times.
Thirty feet above the "Bottoms", stands Fort Niagara with its great
stone building known today as the "Castle." The fort was established by
the French in 1726 and later became a British post during the French and
Indian War when captured in July of 1759 by His Majesty's forces under
the command of Sir William Johnson.